Thursday, July 15, 2010

Thing2: Thoughts about Web 2.0

This old dog is definitely going to need multiple opportunities to get the hang of all this new stuff.
All of my teaching years, I've had teachers tell me that education runs in cycles every 20-30 years just the words change. I really don't think there are old words for this stuff!!

Consider the ways in which Web 2.0 tools might change (or have already changed) your professional practice.
1) What a different way of communication among so many people.
2) accessing more relevant and up-to-date info for my students.

How might you be able to use these new tools to engage today's "digital learners"?
The example that Lisa used at the beginning of this class. To view how the opinion poll changes with each vote is a great confident building tool for students to still be anonymous, but cast their opinion.
To network with other educators? No more running down the hall on prep time to get info from a colleague.
To communicate and collaborate with our teachers, parents, community? This will help me keep up-to-date in my profession. I think there willl be more sharing of ideas and new strategies of learning among all the people who interact with our students.

Why would you want to? I don't want to stagnate in my teaching or my life as I age. When I learn new things, it revitalizes me to share with the students. Of course, the students know much more than I do about this electronic age.

1 comment:

  1. I am on the same page with you GA. I want to be relevant and not stagnant. I believe that in an effort to meet the needs of students, I must "know" what and "who" they are. Allowing them to write with "this" pencil, to express themselves in the world they were born into is essential!

    ReplyDelete